With Earth Day just around the corner, it’s a great time to take a look at our daily routines and explore possible ways we can all make our homes a little greener.
Reducing your carbon footprint and becoming more eco-friendly can seem a little overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be. There are many simple and affordable (even free!) ways almost anyone can contribute to helping the environment.
In this post, we’ll show you 4 simple changes you can make today that will have a positive impact on your carbon footprint. (and may even put a little extra money in your pocket!)
Pass on Plastics
We live in a world full of plastic; from food packages to grocery bags, it’s in so many of the products we use daily in and outside of our homes. Ridding ourselves of plastic completely would be nearly impossible, but we can easily take steps to reduce how much plastic we use. Here are a few ideas to help get you started:
- Use a refillable glass water bottle at work and the gym.
- Get a water filtration container like a Brita, and stop buying the individual plastic bottles
- Skip the plastic bags at the grocery store and bring your own reusable bags or box.
Plastic is everywhere and sometimes it can be hard to avoid, but do your best and try to minimize your usage in any small way you can.
Watch the Thermostat
One of the easiest ways to reduce your carbon footprint is to make a couple minor adjustments to your thermostat settings. In the summer, set your temperature a little higher, and in the winter, a little lower when you’re not home. These small changes can have a big impact on your energy usage and your monthly bills. In fact, turning your thermostat up just 4 degrees in the summer when you’re not home and at night can save around $35 and reduce CO2 output by over 1000 pounds!
Choose paperless for all of your statements, newsletters and bills when possible. Many banks, credit cards, and even some insurance companies now offer paperless billing. At Buckley, our clients insured with Intact can sign up for Client Centre™ and get easy, secure, online access to all their policy documents, anytime, anywhere. Not only does it help cut the clutter, it also makes tracking claims and making payments quick and easy.
Even though paper is recyclable, less paper means fewer trees cut down and that’s always a good thing.
Use LED Lights
LED lights are the most efficient, clean and eco-friendly way of lighting your home. Using LED lights is not only an excellent way to reduce your carbon footprint; it will also save you money on your monthly bills.
LED lights are free of the harmful toxic chemicals found in traditional bulbs, they are 100% recyclable, and have a much longer life cycle, making them an excellent choice for every homeowner.
Normal incandescent light bulbs operate around 20% efficiency, which means that only 20% of the electrical energy used by the bulb is converted to light, and the remaining 80% is lost to other energy forms such as heat. LED bulbs on the other hand, have an energy efficiency rating between 80% – 90%, making them far more efficient.
Look at it this way, with traditional bulbs, if you spend $100 a month on your lighting, only $20 of that has gone to lighting the room, while the other $80 has gone to heating it! With LED lighting that figure is flipped, saving you money every month!
There are many ways to live a greener life and start reducing your carbon footprint. You don’t have to make drastic lifestyle changes or go completely off the grid to have a positive impact on the environment. Start small with a few minor changes to your daily routine and smarter consumer choices. Becoming more eco-friendly will make you feel great and may even put a few extra bucks in your pocket every month!